- Tour Plan
- Additional Info
- Similar Tours
What to expect
Venture out of the Sofia region and explore Bulgaria’s wine country. Enjoy the scenery as you head to the wine region closest to Sofia, where wine making has been prevalent for millennia. Spend an entire day sampling delicious local wines at two local wineries, while being fully taken care of and educated on all things Bulgarian wine by your Tour Leader. During the tour, you will visit two unique wineries to taste wines and learn about the art of viticulture. Between wineries, a traditional lunch is served. This 9-hour tour gives you the time to enjoy the nature, food and wines of Bulgaria. Enjoy the local wine, discover the local grape varieties, learn about the history in the area and, most importantly, have an unforgettable day!
Sofia and the region immediately surrounding Sofia is not a wine region. You need to drive at least an hour to reach wineries. The closest wine region to Sofia is The Thracian Valley. The Thracian Valley is the largest wine region in Bulgarian in terms of number of wineries and has a diverse collection of wineries. We work with multiple, carefully selected vineyards and small wine producers in the region. It is possible to visit a few wineries from Sofia and be back in Sofia in the later afternoon/early evening. Many of the wines produced at the wineries are only available at the winery, in Bulgaria or have very limited distribution. Be sure to take some wines home with you (at attractive cellar-door prices) to share with friends and family. Chances are slim that you can find them back home!
Bulgaria grows both international and native grapes. Interestingly, there are more international grapes planted in Bulgaria than local grapes for historical reasons. The ratio of international to local is roughly 70% to 30% with the plantations of local grapes increasing in recent years.
The most popular and widely planted international grapes are Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Viognier, Riesling, Gewürztraminer and Muscat Ottonel.
The most significant local grapes are Dimyat, Red Misket, Broad-Leaved Melnik Vine, Early Melnik Grape (Melnik 55), Mavrud, Rubin, Ruen, Bouquet, Pamid, Tamianka and Gamza,
Rise and shine
We can pick you up from your hotel, Airbnb or any other landmark location. Please advise at time of booking.
10:00 - Pick-up from your accommodation in Sofia
17:00 - Drop off at your accommodation
More about this tour
- Listed price is for two people / per person.
- You can use your own insurance or we can arrange it for you through our partners.
- For larger groups and discounts, please contact us at email@example.com
Where to meet:
- We will pick you up from your hotel or accommodation in Sofia
Good things to know before you go:
- Remember to wear comfortable footwear and weather-appropriate clothing. The tour takes place in sunshine or rain.
- Bring your camera along to capture special moments
- Bring some local currency (BGN) for purchases just in case the winery does not accept card payment
- The minimum number of people per tour is 2. The maximum number of people per tour is 6.
- Transportation is either in comfortable car or 8-seater passenger van (depending on the group size)
- Food allergies or dietary requirements can be accommodated if advised before the tour. Please advise at time of booking.
Cancellation policy - we offer free cancellation and a full refund*
- Daily tours
- If you are unable to attend a daily tour and let us know 24 hours in advance we will provide you with a full refund. We will try to accommodate any changes at the last moment, but we cannot guarantee it.
- If you are unable to attend a multi-day tour please let us know as early as possible. The refunds are listed below
- Up to 30 days before the start date -> 100%
- Up to 21 days before the start date -> 70%
- Up to 14 days before the start date -> 50%
- Less than 14 days before the start date - unfortunately we will not be able to refund you