- Tour Plan
- Additional Info
- Similar Tours
- A guides tour of amazing places
- English speaking tour guide
- Entrance tickets to monuments and museums
- Transportation in comfortable car / passenger van
- Travel and medical insurance*
Vratsa Karst Nature Reserve is a major karst region with exceptional natural beauty.
Ledenika’s entrance is approximately 830 m above sea level. The cave features an abundance of galleries and impressive karst formations including stalactites and stalagmites. .
The cave is about 300 m long and contains ten separate halls. Visitors enter through the Antechamber, then pass through several smaller passages into the Concert Hall. Visitors then pass through several more smaller passages, eventually emerging in the White Hall. The largest gallery is known as the Great Temple, with a ceiling of 15 m. The Concert Hall is smaller, but has an enormous variation of stalactites and stalagmites. During the winter, icicles may form on the ceiling. The abundance of icicles in winter is thought to have led to the cave’s name, which in English translates to icy or glacial.
Rise and shine
An early transfer will take you to Zgorigrad village passing by the rock phenomenon Vratsata and further to the beginning of the beautiful and thrilling eco-trail of Borov Kamak waterfall (50m high). Climb up on wooden ladders and steps in the pristine valley full of small waterfalls and cascades, enjoy a picnic lunch at the top and descend on a nice beech forest path with great panoramic views to Zgorigrad village and Vratsa Mountains. On the way up to the waterfall you will cross the river on wooden bridges just above the rapids, climb up rocky steep sections on massive wooden ladders and enjoy great views of Borov kamak waterfall from below and then on top of it.
After the hike you will be transferred to the sinister cave Ledenika where mother nature has made a masterpiece of an enchanting underground world. It is 320m long and its name comes from the icy stalagmites formed at the entrance in winter time and early spring. With its stunning cave formations Ledenika is one of the most beautiful show caves in Bulgaria and a habitat of the endemic beetle Fagomycetes ledenicus or “the light hater”.
More about this tour
- Hotel pick-up costs an additional 5/10 Euro per reservation, depending on the location of your hotel.
- Listed price is for two people / per person.
- You can use your own insurance or we can arrange it for you through our partners.
- You can book trekking poles in advance (recommended, especially if you have weak joints)
- Ask us about our group discounts
- Return transfer from Sofia to the trailhead in Vratsa Mountains
- English-speaking mountain guide throughout the tour
Price do not include:
- Entrance fee for Ledenika Cave
- Meals and beverages
- Personal expenses
Good things to know before you go:
Food: if you have forgotten to take a lunch pack or a sandwich with you, you can have lunch in one of the small restaurants in the area. The menu is limited though: soups (lentils, beans), grilled meat and some basic meals.
Difficulty: this walking route is moderately arduous, with individual brief paths featuring steep inclines; adventurous parts occur (wooden bridges, narrow stages in the cave etc.) and need more attention. Please bring along comfortable hiking boots. Sandals and flip-flops are not accepted. Rain jacket might be useful in summer as heavy showers sometimes occur in the afternoons. The floor inside the cave is very slippery and the temperature is about +8C.
This hiking trail is especially recommended for spring, when is the best time to enjoy the turbulent waters of the waterfall and the icy structures inside the Ledenika Cave.
Cancellation policy - we offer free cancellation and a full refund*
- Daily tours
- If you are unable to attend a daily tour and let us know 24 hours in advance we will provide you with a full refund. We will try to accommodate any changes at the last moment, but we cannot guarantee it.
- If you are unable to attend a multi-day tour please let us know as early as possible. The refunds are listed below
- Up to 30 days before the start date -> 100%
- Up to 21 days before the start date -> 70%
- Up to 14 days before the start date -> 50%
- Less than 14 days before the start date - unfortunately we will not be able to refund you