- Tour Plan
- Additional Info
- Similar Tours
Boyana Waterfall is formed under the waters of the Boyana River, which streams down the northern hills of Vitosha mountain. The base of the waterfall is located at 1260 meters altitude. The area has a well preserved and uncontaminated nature. In sunny days, the waterfall can sometimes be seen from the capital of Bulgaria – Sofia.
During the cold days of winter, the Boyana Waterfall freezes due to the shadowy valley of its location. The waterfall is easily accessible by foot but not by car. It is one of the important natural landmarks near Sofia. The quickest route to the Boyana waterfall is through the Kopitoto hotel and takes about one hour of walking.
There are two hiking routes that you can take from different locations to reach the waterfall. The first one is the Boyana neighborhood in Sofia, which is located in the upper part of the Bulgarian capital. The hiking trails start from there upward and left toward the Boyana Lake, and upward right toward the Boyana Waterfall. Taking the route through the lake is longer but less steep. The route situated on the right is shorter but steeper and sometimes gets frozen during winter.
The second point you can start a hike from is Kopitoto which is an area situated on 1345 meters altitude in Vitosha mountain, which can be reached by car. Many expeditions toward Cherni Vrah pass through the Boyana Waterfall.
The waterfall is used for alpine climbing during the winter season when it freezes.
9:00 - The trip starts from the parking behind Alexander Nevski Cathedral.
9:30 - Arrival at the starting point of the hike – Boyana Church (UNESCO site).
10:00- Head towards Boyana lake.
10:45 - Arrival at the lake. Quick breather.
11:00 - Head towards Boyana waterfall.
12:30 - Arrival at the waterfall.
13:00 - Head towards the pick up location.
13:45 - Arrival at Alexander Nevski Cathedral.
More about this tour
Good things to know before you go:
- You can use your own insurance or we can arrange it for you through our partners.
- Listed price is for two people / per person.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Hotel pick-up costs an additional 5/10 Euro per reservation, depending on the location of your hotel.
Please ask us about our group discounts.
Covid19 Update: It’s recommended that you check with us prior to your trip or go to this link for up to date information. You can also prepare / purchase sandwiches or small snacks sold everywhere in Sofia.
Difficulty: The trail is moderately arduous, without steep paths.
Attire / Gear: Hiking shoes and hiking sticks are recommended.
Food: Food can be purchased in the hut. We recommend having at least 2 liters of water (we can refill on the way).
Cash is important
Please have cash with you as not all places accept debit / credit cards and ATMs.
Cancellation policy - we offer free cancellation and a full refund*
- Daily tours
- If you are unable to attend a daily tour and let us know 24 hours in advance we will provide you with a full refund. We will try to accommodate any changes at the last moment, but we cannot guarantee it.
- If you are unable to attend a multi-day tour please let us know as early as possible. The refunds are listed below
- Up to 30 days before the start date -> 100%
- Up to 21 days before the start date -> 70%
- Up to 14 days before the start date -> 50%
- Less than 14 days before the start date - unfortunately we will not be able to refund you
- No shows are fully charged
- The experience requires a minimum of travelers. If it’s canceled we will offer you another experience or fully refund your money.