- Tour Plan
- Similar Tours
- More Information
- Entrance tickets to monuments and museums
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Day 5
- Day 6
- Day 7
- Day 8
Arrival at Sofia airport and transfer to our hotel.
Goliam Izvor village - Ribaritsa village
Early transfer brings us to Golyam Izvor village where the cycling starts. We start cycling towards the town of Teteven as we have an optional detour to the Glozhene monastery. As we reach Teteven we can have a short stop for a walk and visit of the local historic museum and church or go for a short bike and hike to a nearby eco trail with 2 beautiful waterfalls. Then you continue cycling to Ribaritsa village where we stay for the night.
Cycling distance: 47.5km; Ascent: 620m; Descent: 510m.
Ribaritsa village - Troyan monastery - Apriltsi
Ascent from Ribaritsa village to the highest point for the day - Bogoi pass (1185m). From this pass the road goes all the way down to the town of Troyan passing through the village of Shipkovo where you can take a refreshing bath in the mineral water swimming pools. After lunch in Troyan town centre we visit The Pottery and Craft Exhibition "Oreshaka" nearby and the famous Troyan monastery. We spend the night in Apriltsii village.
Cycling distance: 77km; Ascent: 970m; Descent: 1060m.
Apriltsi - Gabrovo - Etura
Cycling on isolated village roads from Apriltsi to Gabrovo. Enroute you pass by numerous small villages set in green landscapes and river valleys. After an ascent followed by a nice downhill ride you reach Gabrovo town and continue to "Etura"- an open-air ethnographic museum, where you can add and additional 6km of cycling reaching the nearby Sokolski Monastery.
Cycling distance: 61km; Ascent: 700m; Descent: 800m.
Gabrovo - Tryavna - Bozhentsi
After breakfast you start cycling from Gabrovo. After an ascent followed by a descent, you arrive in Tryavna. There you can spend some time on sightseeing and lunch in the centre of this beautiful National Revival town. Ups and downs through open terrain will lead you to the final stop for today - Bozhentsi architectural reserve.
Cycling distance: 58km; Ascent: 1010m; Descent: 1000m.
Bozhentsi - Dryanovo monastery - Elena
A transfer in the morning brings you to the Dryanovo monastery where you can also visit the local cave. You start cycling from the turning for Yalovo village to the town of Elena passing by several villages and the blue waters of Iovkovtsi dam.
Cycling distance: 46km; Ascent: 800m; Descent: 800m.
Elena - Arbanassi - Veliko Turnovo - Sofia
From Elena we continue cycling to the last point of the trip – Arbanasi architectural reserve. The landscape includes meadows, pastures, cultivation lands, shrubby hills and finally a beautiful plateau over Veliko Tarnovo. After some free time for rest and walks among the old houses of Arbanasi we go for a lunch and sightseeing tour in Veliko Turnovo - the capital of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom. Afternoon transfer to Sofia where we spend the last overnight.
Cycling distance: 42km; Ascent: 600m; Descent: 730m.
Transfer to Sofia airport for departure
- 7 nights at family run hotels and guest houses in rooms with private facilities
- 7 breakfast + 5 dinners (day 2-6)
- supporting vehicle and English-speaking guide/driver
- map and road notes in English
- technical bike support
- airport transfers on days 1 and 8 and all local transfers
Price do not include:
- Flight tickets
- Drinks and meals not mentioned
- Entrance fees
- Additional transfers
- Bike rental - see above "Our bikes"
- Personal expenses
- Private tour on other than the published dates: 90 EUR pp.
- Extra transfer: 15 EUR per vehicle
GOOD THINGS TO KNOW
Roads:We use mainly isolated village asphalt roads with little traffic, road conditions are relatively good with some exceptions (bumpy sections, potholes, rough asphalt), we do not go off road
Guide/driver::The guide with the supporting vehicle and the luggage inside checks several times a day if everything is OK with the group, waiting by crossroads, accompanying them for breakfast, lunch and dinner and giving them talks by the most interesting sites en-route
Dress code:In monasteries and churches - men are not allowed to enter in shorts and women should not expose their legs and shoulders.
- You can use your own insurance or we can arrange it for you through our partners.
- Listed price is for two people / per person.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers.
- Hotel pick-up costs an additional 5/10 Euro per reservation, depending on the location of your hotel.
Please ask us about our group discounts.
Covid19 Update: Restaurants in the area have limited capacity until further notice, due to the state of emergency in Bulgaria.
It’s recommended that you check with us prior to your trip or go to this link for up to date information. You can also prepare sandwiches or small snacks sold everywhere in Sofia.
Attire: The weather conditions can change very rapidly. We advise you to pack some warm clothing even during the summer months. Comfortable shoes are recommended as some of the streets are cobbled.
Photos are allowed everywhere with the exception of churches and monasteries.
Cash is important
Please have cash with you as not all places accept debit / credit cards and ATMs.
There are numerous restaurants in the area that offer authentic food. We will have time to stop and enjoy a nice lunch for the multi-day tours and at certain instances in the daily tours.
Cancellation policy - we offer free cancellation and a full refund*
- Daily tours
- If you are unable to attend a daily tour and let us know 24 hours in advance we will provide you with a full refund. We will try to accommodate any changes at the last moment, but we cannot guarantee it.
- If you are unable to attend a multi-day tour please let us know as early as possible. The refunds are listed below
- Up to 30 days before the start date -> 100%
- Up to 21 days before the start date -> 70%
- Up to 14 days before the start date -> 50%
- Less than 14 days before the start date - unfortunately we will not be able to refund you
- No shows are fully charged
- The experience requires a minimum of travelers. If it’s canceled we will offer you another experience or fully refund your money.