- Tour Plan
- Additional Info
- Similar Tours
- A guides tour of amazing places
- English speaking tour guide
- Transportation in comfortable car / passenger van
- Entrance tickets to monuments and museums
The Seven Rila Lakes
The Seven Rila Lakes are without a doubt one of the most notable natural attractions on the Balkan Peninsula, a dream destination not to be missed. Their beauty touches the thousands of Bulgarian and international visitors who visit them.
The Seven Rila Lakes, located in the Dangskiya region of the northwestern Rila Mountains, are glacial lakes. They are scattered at the foot of a massive cirque that includes the peaks Suhi Chal (Dry Peak), Otovishki, and Haramiya. The lakes have been named for their shapes and qualities. The highest of them is Tear Lake, which gained its name for its crystal-clear water. It is 2,535 meters high, directly beneath the Otovishki Peak. Next is Eye Lake, the deepest of the seven at 37.5 meters.
Rila Monastery, or rather the Treasury of Bulgaria, is blooming like an evergreen and magnificent flower in the bosom of Rila Mountain, in the place where the rivers Drushlyavitsa and Rilska join.
Founded in the first half of 10 c. by the heavenly protector of the Bulgarians Saint John of Rila, the monastery is a cradle, a pillar and a repository of the Bulgarian spirit even today.
While the records about the fate of the relics of Saint John from 10 c. to 14 c. are detailed, for the Rila Monastery itself they are scarce. Since 11 c. until today in the monastery book depository MS books have been kept, such as the glagolic transcript of the notable “Exhortation” by Saint Ephrem of Syria, which testifies for perpetual literary activity. In the roya decree (certificate for donation) of king Ivan Shishman (1371 – 1393) it is said the Bulgarian rulers – the kings Ivan Asen II (1218 – 1241) and his successor Kaloman (1241 –1245) confirmed the estates and the rights of the monastery, and they honored it as holy place and place of worship.
For more information please follow this link.
Rise and shine
07:00:The trip starts from the parking behind Alexander Nevski Cathedral (you will receive a detailed map after you complete the booking process).
09:00:Arrival at the bottom station of the Panichishte Resort chairlift.
09:30:Arrival at the top station of the chairlift and start of the hike.
14:00:End of the hike and arrival back at the top station of the chairlift.
14:30:Arrival at the bottom station and transfer to Rila Monastery.
16:00:Arrival in Rila Monastery, followed with a tour of the complex and some free time.
17:30:Departure from Rila Monastery, going back to the starting point of the tour.
19:30: Arrival at the parking lot of Alexander Nevski Cathedral.
*Please note that all of the timetables are approximate and are subject to change, depending on the size of the group and the traffic along the way.
More about this tour
- Hotel pick-up costs an additional 5/10 Euro per reservation, depending on the location of your hotel.
- Listed price is for two people / per person.
- You can use your own insurance or we can arrange it for you through our partners.
- You can book trekking poles in advance (recommended, especially if you have weak joints)
- Ask about our group discounts
- Pick-up/drop off from Alexander Nevski Cathedral
- All transportation costs
- English-speaking guide throughout the tour
Price do not include:
- Chairlift ticket from Panichishte and back (10 euro per person, bough on spot only)
- Meals and beverages
Good things to know before you go:
Food:Although there are two huts on our way where we can purchase some basic food (i.e. beans soup, meatballs, tea) we advise you to come prepared with a lunch pack from Sofia, because the program today is rather tight and for sure we won’t have much time for a proper lunch.
Difficulty:The hiking route is moderately arduous, with individual brief paths featuring steep inclines. Please bring along comfortable walking boots. Sandals and flip-flops are not accepted. Rain jackets might be useful in summer as heavy showers sometimes occur in the afternoons.
Cancellation policy - we offer free cancellation and a full refund*
- Daily tours
- If you are unable to attend a daily tour and let us know 24 hours in advance we will provide you with a full refund. We will try to accommodate any changes at the last moment, but we cannot guarantee it.
- If you are unable to attend a multi-day tour please let us know as early as possible. The refunds are listed below
- Up to 30 days before the start date -> 100%
- Up to 21 days before the start date -> 70%
- Up to 14 days before the start date -> 50%
- Less than 14 days before the start date - unfortunately we will not be able to refund you